Adapted from Bread & Honey
This is without a doubt the best chili I’ve ever had. It’s just the right consistency, the flavors are perfect together and I’m definitely adding this to a regular dish at our house!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (save a few slices for topping)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes (I prefer crushed)
- 2 15 oz. cans of beans, drained - black, garbanzos, kidney, and/or pinto (I used kidney and pinto)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (kids don’t do spicy, but I wanted a little kick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock depending on how thick you like it (I used 2 cups)
Heat olive oil over medium-high in a large pot or saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil and add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, and stock. Stir well. Turn heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings. I used onions, grated cheese & sour cream.